A literary composition developed for the stage.
- Submit six (6) original, notarized copies of a one-act play.
- The play must be an original (written only by the contestant).
- The play must be typed and double spaced, not to exceed twenty (20) pages. A one-page synopsis must be included.
- The top of each page must include the contestant’s name, page number and unit name and number.
- The contestant must be prepared to answer questions by the judges.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Characterization (10) – Is there a protagonist of some type? Is there an antagonist? Are the characters in the play developed. Are the roles defined?
- Clarity (10) – Is the author’s theme and purpose clearly stated?
- Content (25) – Is the subject matter or situation of the play relevant, creative, and/or controversial?
- Dialogue (10) – Is the word usage or phrasing consistent with the character? Does the dialogue advance the plotline or develop the character’s background?
- Mechanics (10) – Is the manuscript clearly typed? Are there errors in spelling and/or grammar? Are the stage directions clearly stated? Are the settings and characters clearly indicated?Plot (25) – Has the story line been clearly defined? Has the action of the play been? chronologically developed? Is there evidence of:
- Style (10) – Has the playwright established a definitive method or style?