To perform a series of rhythmic and patterned bodily movements usually performed to music that focuses on the dancer’s interpretations using their emotions and moods to develop choreography.
- The solo performance must not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to point deduction and/or disqualification.)
- Costumes are optional, but should be appropriate to the choreography performed.
- The theme of the performance must be identified to the judges prior to the presentation.
- Each performance must derive from Dunham, Graham, Horton, Humphrey, Limon, or other modern techniques.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Technical Proficiency/Skill (25): Alignment, strength, endurance, flexibility, coordination
- Clarity and Consistency in Style (25)
- Phrasing/Dynamics/Musicality (25)
- Clarity of Intent/Interpretation of Choreography (25)