The art and process of making motion pictures.
- Only one (1) film is to be entered.
- The running time of the film must not exceed five (5) minutes.
- A storyboard or project theme must be associated with the film.
Please Note: Storyboards are NOT stills taken from the film; rather they are original drawings, sketches, etc. completed PRIOR to the execution of the film.
- Only one (1) film is to be entered in DVD format.
- The running time for the film must not exceed five (5) minutes excluding closing credits.
- A playback unit will be provided.
- Two (2) copies of the film should be submitted on a single DVD packaged in a standard 5 1/4 x 7 1/2 plastic DVD case. Do not put labels on the DVD.
- DVD’s must be compatible with standard set-top DVD players.
- The contestant must shoot all footage. The use of stock footage, or any other footage not shot by the contestant will result in immediate disqualification.
Do not simply burn a QuickTime or AVI file to a disc as data. This may render your film unplayable. Make sure your disc plays in a standard DVD player before you submit your entry.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Creative (25)
- Storyboard (10) – how effectively did the competitor execute the ideas presented on the storyboard in their piece?
- Originality (15)- Did the competitor try to challenge him/her self to do something different and interesting. Did they have a new and interesting way of retelling an old story/concept? Creativity of approach or concept
- Production (35)
- Direction/Structure (25) – the use of camera, choice of shots to help convey the story, framing, camera movement, clarity of story
- Use of light (10) – Are actors and/or environment lit effectively
- Sound (15)
- Use of audio effects/music (10)
- Audibility (5) – Is dialogue audible.
- Post Production (25)
- Editing (20)– Approach in editing to tell the story more effectively.
- Titles (5)