The art of staging or acting plays.
- The performance must be a minimum of three (3) minutes and maximum of five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the minimum and maximum time requirements are subject to point deduction and/or disqualification.)
- All material must be from a published play. Students should not perform poems, sermons, standup routines, or excerpts from movies.
- The selection must be of literate quality.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes, makeup, and small/minimal props are optional, but not required.
- Puppetry, oratory, and forensic pieces may not be used.
- Monologues from Musical Theatre is permitted, however accompanying songs may not be used as part of the piece.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Projection (10)
- Structure (10pts): Does the performance have transitions/beats and a clear beginning, middle, climax, and end?
- Memorization (10)
- Movement (10): Is the blocking clear and does the actor commit to and follow through with his/her movements and gestures?
- Emotional Connection and Honesty (10): Are you really “selling” that you are becoming this character or are you simply “play-acting”?
- Imagination and Creativity (15): Are you bringing something different to the piece or are you just reciting lines?
- Stage Presence (10)
- Character Work (10)
- Specificity of Acting Choices (10): Clear pursuit of Actions/Objectives
- Creation of the Space (5)